Privateer Press takes the security of your information seriously. We do not rent, sell, or share your information with anyone else. Your information may be stored in systems that we do not own in the course of necessary business. The list below is current as of 05/2018.
Your Credit Card Information:
- If you elect to save your credit card for faster repeated checkouts, this information is also transmitted directly to and stored in Authorize.net secure servers, using their Customer Information Manager (CIM) system. On our end, we are only able to see the name, billing address, expiration date and last four digits on the card, which helps us confirm with you that we’re all talking about the same credit card, in the event that you need us to verify a charge. You can delete saved cards at will by logging into your Customer Account, which will remove them from Authorize.net’s server.
- Click on the Authorize.net icon below this page for further details about Authorize.net.
Your Physical Address:
- If you order physical products, we have to know where to ship them, and so we save your shipping address for that purpose; it winds up on the third-party, secure servers of the Shipstation SaaS as part of our warehouse’s workflow and, inevitably, in the systems of postal carriers such as UPS and the USPS, so that they can deliver your shipment to your door. We hold on to your shipping address for our records, in case you need a reshipment because something went awry.
- Your billing address is needed by Authorize.net to verify your credit card (technically, just the country and postal code) but we keep it in our store.privateerpress.com database for the purposes of displaying it on our invoices.
- You can access and delete your saved addresses from our system by logging in to your customer account. We can also anonymize your orders within our system if you need your information scrubbed; please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish for us to do so.
Your Email Address:
- We use Springbot, a digital marketing automation service, to email you product recommendations and coupons after you’ve finished checking out. You may unsubscribe by clicking a link in any of these emails.
- You can also sign up for our newsletter at checkout, or by using the form on the front page of our store (or on any of our other websites, including privateerpress.com, mini-crate.com, and monsterpocalypse.com), and unsubscribe from our newsletter via links at the bottom of newsletter emails.
- We make use of an Abandoned Cart email workflow provided by Springbot. If you start the checkout process, enter your email, and then leave the page, you will be automatically subscribed to a series of emails attempting to woo you back. You may stop this campaign at any time by clicking on the unsubscribe link in any such email, and if you complete the checkout, the campaign will normally be stopped.
- When you make a digital purchase, you will be forced to save a customer account at store.privateerpress.com, which will store your email as your username, so that you can log in and access your downloadable products.
- If you submit a question via the contact form, we will save your email address so that we can get back to you. This doesn’t sign you up for any other emails.
- Additionally, if you check out, your email address is recorded in the API system database, so that automated service notifications can be sent to you. There is no opt-out on these, as it is purely for transactional email: receipts, shipping notifications, and so forth.
Your Customer Account:
- Making or being logged into a customer account is not mandatory when placing a non-digital order, but if you do, it gives you easy access to all of your non-anonymous data, and the ability to delete it at will (WIP: will be fully operational by 05/25/18), so we highly recommend it. Your account stores your name, email, physical addresses, order history, downloadable product licenses, and, if you elect to save them on the Authorize.net servers for easier repeated use, credit card information, and any of these things can be deleted at will by you at your account dashboard, or by us on request (just ask email@example.com to scrub you from our systems).
- If you have ebooks/PDFs/downloadable products on your account, please make sure that you download your products before deleting, as you will no longer have access to the download links and the order will be anonymized in our records as part of the deletion, so we won’t have proof that you bought them!
Cookies and other stuff:
What are cookies?
- Cookies are small data files that are placed on your computer or mobile device when you visit a website. Cookies are widely used by online service providers in order to (for example) make their websites or services work, or to work more efficiently, as well as to provide reporting information.
- Cookies set by the website owner or service provider (in this case, Privateer Press) are called “first party cookies”. Cookies set by parties other than the website owner are called “third party cookies”. Third party cookies enable third party features or functionality to be provided on or through the website or service you are using (such as advertising, interactive content and analytics). The third parties that set these third party cookies can recognise your computer both when it visits the website or service in question and also when it visits certain other websites or services.
First Party Cookies
Third Party Cookies
We also have some opt-in cookies, which require your consent using a pop-up banner at the top of store.privateerpress.com when you first come to visit. (This banner will be in place by May 25th.)
- We use Google Analytics, which means that cookies are used to collect non-identifying information. This is transmitted to servers in the United States owned by Google. Many of our websites use Google Analytics and there are separate opt-out banners at the bottom of each site.
- MiniCrate also uses Authorize.net and Shipstation servers to safely and securely process your payments and ship you your minis; additionally, your customer accounts are created and stored on PayWhirl servers, for the purposes of saving and billing your recurring subscriptions. You can view or delete your account by logging in at www.mini-crate.com, or we can delete your information on request (contact firstname.lastname@example.org).
We do everything we can to ensure that no one else sees any of this information. If someone ever does hack our servers, we’ll be in touch…
If you have other questions about information not covered here, or wish to get in touch about any data-related issues, please contact our Data Protection Officer at email@example.com.